TABLE OF CONTENTS
Manuscript Collection No. 801
Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
In 1906, the Ladies Benevolent Society of Cincinnati proposed the establishment of an Orthodox Home for the Aged. It was to be merged with the Avondale Old Home (later Glen Manor), but due to a disagreement over whether the food needed to be kosher or not, the merger fell through. Instead, on September 15, 1914, the Orthodox Jewish Home was opened as an additional facility to complement the more religiously liberal Glen Manor (founded in the 1880s). Numerous proposals followed over the next eighty years to unite the two homes, but they remained separate. In the 1990s, the migration of the Jewish community to the northern suburbs necessitated the removal of both homes to a new location. These moves served as impetus for a merger in March 1997, and the new Jewish home of Cedar Village was created, which serves senior citizens of all Jewish denominations. Cedar Village offers social activities, physical and mental health services, dietary services, and housekeeping to all of its residents. The institution is staffed by both an Orthodox and a Reform rabbi, and an Orthodox synagogue and Reform temple offer worship services side by side.
The collection contains board and annual meeting minutes, together with various committee minutes from 1957–1978.
This collection is arranged in one (1) series, chronologically.
Terms of Access and Use
This collection is open to all users. The original manuscript collection is available in the Barrows-Loebelson Reading Room of the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives.
Property and Literary Rights
Morris Fogel, by the act of donating the Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged (Cincinnati, Ohio) Records to the American Jewish Archives, assigned all property rights to the American Jewish Archives. Literary rights are retained by the Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged.
Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Executive Director of the American Jewish Archives. For more information see the American Jewish Archives copyright information webpage.
Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged (Cincinnati, Ohio). Records. 1906-1962. X-318.
Footnotes and bibliographic references should refer to the Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged (Cincinnati, Ohio) Records and the American Jewish Archives. A suggestion for at least the first citation is as follows:
[Description], [Date], Box #, Folder #. MS-801. Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged (Cincinnati, Ohio) Records. American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Orthodox Jewish Home for the Aged (Cincinnati, Ohio) records were received from Morris Fogel, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 2003.
Processed by Kevin Proffitt, September 2011.
This collection was arranged and described according to minimal-processing standards. Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Further accruals are expected to this collection.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the American Jewish Archives's online catalog.
United States. National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Jewish aged -- Ohio -- Cincinnati
Orthodox Judaism -- Ohio -- Cincinnati