A Finding Aid to the
Glencoe, Illinois -- North Shore Congregation Israel Records
Manuscript Collection No. 731
1924-1999. .8 Linear ft.
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
GLENCOE. ILLINOIS - NORTH SHORE CONGREGATION ISRAEL RECORDS were donated to the American Jewish Archives by David Rothschild of Chicago, Illinois in November 2004.
All property rights have been assigned to the American Jewish Archives. All literary rights to materials in the collection are held by the individual author or his/her heirs. Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Director of the American Jewish Archives. The collection is open to all users and available in the reading room of the American Jewish Archives.
INSTITUTIONAL SKETCH top
The North Shore Congregation Israel of Glencoe, Illinois was founded in 1920 with the first services held on June 1, 1920 at Winnetka, Illinois. Originally, the congregation was a branch of the Sinai Congregation in Chicago. In 1926 the families of the North Shore Branch voted to became an independent congregation and on June 19, 1926 the current congregation was formed.
Over the years the congregation has had numerous rabbis including Charles Shulman who came in 1931 but left during World War II then came back for a brief time after the war was over, Edgar E. Siskin, who served from 1948-1972, and Herbert Bronstein, who was rabbi from 1972-1997. During Rabbi Siskin's tenure, a new building was built which was completed in 1964. The current rabbi is Steven S. Mason, who arrived in 1997.
SCOPE AND CONTENT top
The GLENCOE, ILLINOIS—NORTH SHORE CONGREGATION ISRAEL RECORDS consist primarily of bulletins from Sunday Morning Services (1928-1952). Also included is a membership roll from 1927 as well as photographs of the new synagogue that was completed in 1964. The span dates for the collection are 1924-1999 with the bulk of the material being 1930-1950. The collection is divided into two (2) series:
· SERIES A: Service Bulletins
· SERIES B: Miscellaneous
Series A: Service Bulletins consists of one box (.4 linear feet) of weekly bulletins that outline activities and services of the congregation. The span dates for this series is 1924-1999 with the bulk being 1930-1950.
Series B: Miscellaneous includes a 1927 membership roll of the congregation, a selection of sermons by Rabbi Bronstein, miscellaneous pamphlets and programs, and photographs of the synagogue. The span dates for this series are 1927-1995.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST topBox File Contents Series A. SERVICE BULLETINS 1 1 Confirmation Service. 1924-1947, 1975, 1981. 2 Sunday Morning Service. n. d. 3 Sunday Morning Service. 1928-1932. 4 Sunday Morning Service. 1933-1934. 5 Sunday Morning Service. 1935-1936. 6 Sunday Morning Service. 1938-1940. 7 Sunday Morning Service. 1940-1942. 8 Sunday Morning Service. 1945-1948. 9 Sunday Morning Service. 1948-1950. 10 Sunday Morning Service. 1950-1952. 11 Miscellaneous Services. n. d. 12 Miscellaneous Services. n. d. 2 1 Miscellaneous Services. 1973-1999. SERIES B. MISCELLANEOUS 2 Sermons by Rabbi Herbert Bronstein.1973-1990. 3 Concert Programs. 1974, 1979, n. d. 4 Arise & Build. 1979-1982. 5 Photographs of Synagogue 6 Miscellaneous Pamphlets. n. d. 7 Miscellaneous Pamphlets. 1948, 1958, 1995. 8 Membership Roster and Minutes. 1927, 1972. 9 Music for the Jewish Home - Audio recording disc
Copyright © 2006 Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives