A Finding Aid to the
Newark, Ohio Ohev Israel Temple Records
Manuscript Collection No. 717
1936-1998. 0.8 Linear ft.
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
The Newark, Ohio – Ohev Israel Temple Records were donated to the American Jewish Archives by the Ohev Israel Temple through Lynn Goldsmith in 2005. Ohev Israel Temple, by the act of donating the Newark, Ohio – Ohev Israel Temple Records to the American Jewish Archives, assigned the property rights to the American Jewish Archives. All literary rights to material authored by individuals are held by that individual or by their heirs. Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Executive Director of the American Jewish Archives.
The Newark, Ohio – Ohev Israel Temple Records are open to all users. The original manuscript collection is available in the reading room of the American Jewish Archives
INSTITUTIONAL SKETCH top
The first Jews began to settle in Newark, Ohio in 1898 as they established retail stores. Jacob Lichtenstein founded Ohev Israel Temple in 1907, and Mike Schonberg was the first elected president. At this time, most of the Jews lived in residential areas off of Jefferson Road and Fairfield (the north end) and east of Main Street. Because of KKK activities and other outbreaks of anti-Semitism in 1936, many of the Jews moved their retail stores toward the center of the city.
In 1950, Ohev Israel Temple with the help of Leo Yassenoff, was able to build a synagogue on the corner of Woods and Shelby. The eternal light that hangs in the sanctuary was a gift by the family of Stanley Deutsch, honoring his Bar Mitzvah which was one of the first conducted in the new Temple.
Many people were influential in the growth and maintenance of the Newark, Ohio Jewish community. Some of these individuals include Meyer and Mollie Levin who were pioneers in the establishment of the congregation. Charles Hirsch was heavily involved in both secular and religious aspects of the community, while Bessie Rattenburg was behind the establishment of the Ohev Israel Sunday School. The work of these individuals along with the continued congregational leadership has enabled Ohev Israel Temple to continue to house Jewish religious and community life today.
SCOPE AND CONTENT top
The Newark, Ohio Ohev Israel Temple Records describe the governance and activities of the congregation from 1936 through 1998. Temple members generated a majority of these records. As a result, meeting minutes, financial records and correspondence make up the bulk of this collection. The collection also contains membership lists, legal documents, programs, and material on non-profit organizations.
The collection is arranged into three series:SERIES A. GENERAL. 1954-1996.
SERIES B: FRIENDS OF THE SHELTER. 1983-1998.
SERIES C. SISTERHOOD. 1936-1989.
SERIES A: General. Included in this series are the constitution and by-laws, Board of Directors meeting minutes, Temple meeting minutes, annual meeting minutes, financial records, legal records, and various committee notes. This series also contains membership lists, a history of the Temple, social action in the local and world arena, as well as contact with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations and Northeast Lakes Council.
SERIES B: FRIENDS OF THE SHELTER. This organization provided shelter for victims of domestic violence in Licking County. Included in this series are the constitution and by-laws, Board of Director meeting minutes, newsletters, and financial records. Included also in this collection are membership lists and various other documents.
SERIES C: SISTERHOOD. The records include the constitution and by-laws of the Temples sisterhood, financial information, meeting minutes, and other various documents.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST topBox Folder Contents SERIES A: GENERAL 1 1 Annual Meeting Minutes. 1957-1995. 2 Board Meeting Minutes. 1954-1959. 3 Board Meeting Minutes. 1973-1984. 4 Board Meeting Minutes 1985-1996 5 Congregational Meeting Minutes. 1956, 1988-1989. 6 Constitution revisions. 1969, 1986, 1987. 7 Cemetery/Bereavement Committee. 1984-1986. 8 House Committee. 1956, 1975-1991. 9 Miscellaneous Committees. 1956, 1988-1993. 10 Program/Social Committee. circa 1970-1990. 11 Religious Committee. 1978-1989. 12 Religious Committee. 1988-1993. 13 Treasury Committee. 1955-1957, 1975-1976. 2 1 Bulletins. 1976-1992. 2 Contact Lists. 1977-1995, undated. 3 Endowments and Donations. 1976-1990. 4 Miscellaneous Papers. 1975-1992, undated. 5 Northeast Lakes Council. 1980-1992. 6 President Book from Union of American Hebrew Congregations. 1991. 7 Social Action World and Local Issues. 1981-1992, undated. 8 Thank You Letters. 1950-1992. 9 Union of American Hebrew Congregations Contact. 1985-1992. SERIES B: FRIENDS OF THE SHELTER 10 Board Constitution/Minutes/Members. 1983-1984, 1990-1991. 11 Family Counseling Service Newsletters. 1984-1991. 12 Financials. 1983-1998. 13 Friends of the Shelter Newsletters. 1984-1997. 14 Miscellaneous. 1983-1998, undated. SERIES C: SISTERHOOD 15 Constitutions. 1965, 1970, undated. 16 Meeting Minutes. 1936-June 1948. 17 Meeting Minutes. August 1948-May 1952. 18 Meeting Minutes. October 1952-May 1955. 19 Meeting Minutes. October 1955-June 1962. 20 Meeting Minutes. August 1962-May 1968. 21 Miscellaneous. 1944-1989.
Copyright © 2009 Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives